PRC to press nurses' case despite CGFNS stand
Unfazed by the hardline stance of the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools, Philippine officials are still pushing through with a plan to appeal the case of nursing graduates who passed the leakage-marred June 2006 board exam. Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) head Leonor Rosero said Saturday a team of government officials and private sector representatives will "explain" the situation to the CGFNS. "As much as possible mag-aapela para di na i-retake ang Tests 3 and 5 ... Bibigyan namin ng additional information na sakaling magpapalit ng decision (As much as possible we'll appeal to them to agree)," Rosero, who will head the delegation, said in a radio interview, Saturday morning. CGFNS, in standing pat on its refusal to have the affected nursing graduates retake the exams, emphasized the requirements of US immigration law. The CGFNS is mandated to issue VisaScreen certificates to nurses who wish to work in the US. On the other hand, the "appeal delegation," formed earlier this week, is scheduled to fly to the US on Feb. 26. Rosero will head the delegation. Rosero said students who may have to take the exams had said they do not want to retake the portions of the exams "as much as possible." "Siyempre as much as possible ayaw nila ng retake, they have to prepare and review again sa June or December exams (Of course as much as possible they don't want to retake the exams because they have to prepare and review either for the June or December exams)," she said. She said the PRC has no plans of encouraging the students to apply for work in countries other than the United States, adding the nurses are already considered licensed. "Decision nila yan, kung gusto nila sa US retake sila; kung ayaw nasa kanila (It's their decision. If they really want to go to the US and retake the exam, they can do so. If not, it's really up to them)," she said.-GMANews.TV